Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dragonfly (34) - Aethriamanta Gracilis

Family : Libellulidae
Common Name : Pond Adjutant
Status : Uncommon
Location : Lornie Trail

Aethriamanta Gracilis is a small dragonfly which looks very identical to Brachydiplax Chalybea, except that it is smaller size and more open wing venation.  Similarly to B. Chalybea, males are more common than females.  There were about 8 to 10 nos. of male at some bushes along Lornie Trail and I think I spotted one female but I did not manage to capture it in pixel as it was flying without perching.  The males were quite skittish and therefore I could only manage some record shots.

(Male - Lornie Trail, 16 Aug 2010)

(Male - Lornie Trail, 16 Aug 2010)

(ID unknown - Lornie Trail, 25 Aug 2010)

The female is said to be "yellowish brown in colour with black marking".  Based on this description, the above image could be a female A. Gracilis which was spotted on 25 Aug 2010.

(Side view - Lornie Trail, 25 Aug 2010 )

Afternote : After Mr C.Y. Choong commented that it is unlikely to be a female A. Gracilis, I wrote to Mr Tang H. B. for a second opinion.  He is certain that it is not any of the Aethrianmanta species as the venation does not match.  He also rules out the possibility of Trithemis festiva, judging from the markings on the thorax.  As this dragonfly was about the same size of Aethrianmanta gracilis, he felt that, for this reason, it is less likely to be Indothemis limbata.  However, he would not rule out this possibility as he has not seen a female Indothemis limbata himself.  He added that if it is really a Indothemis limbata, then this image could be the first female photo of the species taken in Singapore!  I have uploaded a side view shot (see above).

On 6 Sep 2010, I spotted 2 mating pairs but only managed to get a record shot (see right image) as dragonfly usually mates for less than a minute!


2 comments:

C.Y. Choong said...

The female doesn't look like an Aethrianmanta gracilis because the wing venation is not open enough.

It aslo doesn't seem to be Trithemis aurora or T. festiva. I guess it could be a young female of Indothemis limbata.

best wishes,
Ian

Anthony Quek said...

Ian,

Thank you very much for your view and pointing out my mistake. I have written to Mr Tang Hung Bun for a 2nd opinion and I have updated his reply in my blog.

Regards,
Anthony.